The hospital called us the Friday before surgery to give us the "low down" and tell us when to check in. His surgery was set for 2:30 in the afternoon! We were to check in at 1:00. He wasn't able to eat any solid foods past midnight and just clear liqueds until 11:30. Not a single drop after 11:30. My poor baby couldn't even drink water! I was so nervous all day, but he really was a trooper and was so happy all day. He slept in until 9:00 (that NEVER happens), I nursed him and gave him a sippy cup of juice for breakfast. We headed up to Primary Childrens at 11:45. He slept the entire way there and made not one peep! Once we were there, we was so preocupied with all of the fish tanks, trains, toys, doctors, nurses and kids that it kept his mind (and mine) off of food. The doctor was running late (and hour to be exact) and they finally took him back at 3:45. When I handed him off the the anesthesiologist, I was expecting him to burst into tears (or at least me). But, he amazed me ( and I amazed myself) once again and made not one peep! They even told me he didn't make a sound while putting the mask on him! That's my boy!
Dr. Morales paged us 15 minutes later and told us they were done with the ear tag part. Now onto the revision. That took a little longer, about 30 minutes or so. Dr. Wallis came in and told us the revision went well and we could see him once he had woken up. After 1 hr, I was able to see him. I could hear him crying from down the hall. It took everything I had to not RUN down and grab him, I just walked VERY fast and scooped him up from the nurses arms and held my baby. They explained to me that he had woken up so soon after surgery that he didn't get enough time to let the anethesia ware off, that's why he was so upset. After a little cuddle time with mom (and a little morphine for the pain- again, LOVE modern medicine) he was fast asleep. We were wheeled into recovery and were released about an hour or so after he had something to eat. It was a day of mixed emotions for me. One, I am so grateful that he is healthy and this surgery was minor. It is so sureal to go up to Primary Childrens and see all of the sick kids and know that my kids are healthy. Two, I am so grateful for doctors and nurses who took such great care of Gabe (and me ) during the procedure. All of the nurses and hospital staff were amazing and really made me feel like I was the only one who's child was having surgery that day.
Gabe is doing great. His recovery is going so smooth, it is really hard to believe he has had surgery (until I look at his scars and realize just how swollen and bruised he is). To me, he looks so different. For 10 months, I have seen him with an ear tag and after 15 minutes, it is gone. McKay and Carter couldn't even tell, they just wanted him home and missed him dearly all day. I should mention that I have the most AMAZING mom EVER! She flew up here and helped out with McKay and Carter all day on Monday. Not to mention she took care of EVERY meal the entire week. Ya, I know, I am spoiled rotten! I cannot think of one event in my life, big or small, where my mom hasn't been there for me. I love you so much, mom. Thanks for being YOU!
Happy as a clam- playing while mom was checking in
Me and Gabe before surgery
Right after surgery
I do have a before shot of his ear, but it was taken with my mom's camera. I'll have to post those later. Thanks to everyone for their prayers. They were truly felt.


7 comments:
I'm sooo glad that things went well! Gabe is such a sweet boy and he was in our prayers! Love ya tons!
I'm so glad it's over with. Isn't Primary Childrens the best! I was thinking about you all week, wondering if the surgery was done! Take a deep breathe and be so grateful it's over with!
Ah!!! I know exactly how you feel! It was tough when Kate had her ear tube surgery...and I had the same thoughts you did...I saw all those other kids in the hospital and was SO grateful that we were in for something minor...it really put it all in perspective...glad you got through it....
How sweet was that post? Brought tears to my eyes. You know I can relate 100% since Spencer had the accesory tragus as well (darn genetics)...and reading this brough back all the memories from his stint in the hospital. I cannot believe how darling that last pic is of Gabe. Those eyelashes! I'm dying! And you my little sister and quite the hotty. You look so cute. You're such a good mom. I'm so grateful for you and thank you for taking such good care of my Spencer while he was up there. He had so much fun, he wants you to adopt him. No joke.
xo
Wow Carrie! This is quite intense. I'm glad everything turned out okay. What a brave little guy he sounds like he's turning out to be.
p.s. I love your hair. It's grown out so much. It looks great :)
Poor kid. I'm so glad that your mom was able to come out and help though. What a blessing!
Aw, the poor baby! It is the hardest to see your baby go through something like that. My heart goes out to you.
Speaking of modern medicine and to brighten spirits, this is a funny video for you to watch.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txqiwrbYGrs&feature=related
Post a Comment